I Do Yoga in My Underwear

Monday, February 20, 2012

I don't know what got into me, but this morning I woke up and the first thing I did was my yoga for the day.  That's pretty amazing since I usually just turn the tv on while I ease into waking myself up, not wanting to get out of bed.  But the most amazing part about it was.........

Bind pose!  See that photo there?  Yep I nailed that pose today.   

A few years ago when I first started trying yoga I was about 35 lbs heavier and as beginner as you can get.  Most of the moves I couldn't do but just saw them as a goal to work up to.  But this pose, something about it bugged me.  I couldn't even get close to it.  I was in a class and I'd look at the girls in front of me doing it with ease it seemed.  I could bend over onto one knee (slightly) and reaching an arm under my leg and up to grasp hands......seriously? Not happening.  I felt like my hands were so far away from being able to touch that for the life of me I could not figure out how anyone did it.  I must have miniature t-rex arms.  

I tried it again today for the first time in quite awhile and was pretty shocked when I felt my fingers touch.  Wait? I'm actually doing it?  My fingertips weren't just touching.  I grabbed hands!  

I'm saying this partly to brag because I am so excited!! But mostly as a reminder that it's hard to see how far you've come sometimes when you're in it.  One thing that I love about yoga and certain other workouts is that it can be measured and it is undeniable when you've grown and improved.  I can feel my strength as I'm able to do more week after week.  If you're disappointed with where you're at now, look back at where you've been.  If you don't feel like you're farther along than where you've been, start now.  Tomorrow look back and see that you're stronger than yesterday.  

This video is INCREDIBLE.  I've got that t-rex arms mentality right now even after that speech I just gave.  But maybe....someday.....I could do something like that?  Its pretty inspiring to say the least.


I know most of my friends are brand new to yoga or new to the idea of even considering trying it.  I'm putting together some of my favorite videos and hopefully tomorrow I'll have some links for you to try out if your'e feeling adventurous.    

Happy President's day :) 







2 comments

  1. i love this! it is true about looking back on where weve been or where we started. makes you look at the future in a whole new light too! the possibilities that seem so daunting now... one day youll back and just smile! love this post! so glad you are with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how awesome yoga is for your body. I have been doing it 15 years now- it's the best thing you can do in the morning! Keep up the good work!

    Nonteam love!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete

GO TO TOP
SOUTH JENNI. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.