Juice Fast Day 1

Saturday, January 14, 2012

I started a 4 day vegetable and juice fast.  Yep I did!  I haven't ever wanted to do anything like this before in my life but maybe I jumped on the crazy train and I'm ready to ride.  Yeah I just realized that was super cheesy to say but give me a break....I've been eating vegetables and fruit for 24 hrs.  I'm a little loopy currently.  


I don't think that I'd recommend this to just anyone.  It just kinda fell into place for me.  By some miracle I've been able to change my orignal thoughts from "I'll start dieting tomorrow, having this one fast food meal won't make that much of a difference, I'll feel better if I can just eat a cheeseburger, I'll just run those calories off, I have to lose weight so that I'll look good, so that I'll be more attractive to guys I want, so that people will think I'm doing good, so that I don't feel guilty every time I put something less than healthy into my body" and started thinking "every choice I make affects how I think about myself, controlling my eating habits leads to strength, confidence, clarity, peace of mind".   For me, when I remembered that I am strong and I want to prove that to myself, rather than thinking about the extra pounds that I need to get rid of asap, I've been able to change a couple bad habits without so much will power.  


So before I planned on doing this 4 day craze - I've already been prepping.  I've been watching what I eat the past couple weeks and making choices to eat as healthy as possible with only a few slipups when I wanted to.  I've been making sure my calories are 1200-1400 per day.  Doing that, I've been feeling the pains of an empty stomach trying to adjust to that and I've become comfortable with that feeling knowing that it won't be forever and knowing that I'm strong enough to get through the cravings.   I read somewhere that someone said if you want to maintain weight you need to make good choices most of the time and if you want to lose weight good choices all of the time. That's been going through my mind.


source: here


Motivation came from watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead which is about 2 men who did 60 day juice fasts and changed their lives.  60 days! Seriously.  So my 4 days seems pretty wimpy but I feel good about it today.  (You can also watch it for free on Netflix and Hulu.)  I don't have a juicer so I've just been blending into smoothies instead.  Juicing would be better but I'm not gonna let that be an excuse to not do it. 


A look at my day of smoothie drinks:


9 AM - kale, 1/2 of a banana, orange, 1/4 cup non fat milk and water       <-------so yummy!


12 PM - carrot, tomato, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup non fat milk and water


2:30 PM - Cuties for a snack


4 PM - apple, cara cara orange, strawberries, ground flax seed, 
            1/2 cup non fat milk and water  [so tart with a kick if you like that kinda thing!]


6:30 PM - broccoli, kale, celery, blueberries, 1/4 cup non fat milk and water   [ewww,        drink this fast!]


7:30 PM - handful of almonds and a cutie orange + daily vitamins


So I'm not a nutritionist and so I'm not gonna claim this is the meal plan for everyone, but it was just for me to try and see how I feel and aim to as many fruits and veggies as I could load in.  I figure that if I'm low on certain nutrients, I have enough extra pounds on my body to survive these 4 days.  


Initially in the day I was feeling great and proud of myself and then by about dinner time I was feeling hungry and starting to question.  I had a time where I thought I could just end this with one day and that's still awesome of me to do one day.  But back to changing my thoughts, I caught myself and realized that this isn't about what I'm eating, but proving to myself that I'm strong and can do things that I set out to do.  Gotta keep my promise of 4 days.  


Tips that helped me if you're thinking about jumping on the crazy train too:


1. Like i mentioned before I've been prepping for this already.   It may be hard to go cold turkey on this sort of thing if you're not used to it.  Try juicing for one meal a day for a week or whatever works for you.  Listen to your heart......that one song just popped into my head.  But anyways...moving on.  


2. Every time I felt hungry, I made a smoothie or a snack, whichever sounded better. I didn't set out with certain times of the day to eat or anything like that. I just tried to stay ahead of the hunger because I knew if I let myself get hungry enough I'd be sitting at the Chick Fil-A drive thru asking for an extra order of fries.  Mmm fries...


3. I had a 3 day weekend and wanted to do this at home.  I felt like I could control this better if I was focused on myself and not stressing about the work day and watching other people eat food.


4. Staying calm.  Again if I got hungry or freaked out I knew I'd be crashing so.  Towards the end of the day when doubt set in, I took a bath - read a good book - made a smoothie that I knew would be yummy.  Lots of power came in my resolve to be strong and overcoming a caving to cravings. 


So.....day 1 done. Did it.  I had a headache by the evening and started feeling dizzy.  I knew I might feel a little off since I've heard about others feeling sick as their body is detoxing so I kind of expected it.  But I realized I wasn't drinking as much water as I normally do since i was drinking my food.  Goal for tomorrow is definitely to up the water intake. And also to survive the day.   





No comments

Post a Comment

GO TO TOP
SOUTH JENNI. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.